Monday, June 4, 2007

Introducing Isaac

Most of my stories about Isaac are incriminating.  I will do my best. 

He is a dancer.  He is a singer.  He is an actor.  He feels a little naugty when he eats mango with sticky rice.  He likes candy.  He fell out of a moving car when he was little.  He watches movies out of the corner of his eye.  His mom is sexy.  He was in a water ballet group called "Goldenfische".  He knows that licking 9-volt batteries too much will give you a headache.  He likes that Paula Cole album.  Isaac makes me do things I don't think I can do.  He has a weath of ego.  And I mean this in a good way.  He believes in himself, and it is easy to get swept up in it.  He makes me feel like I am a good dancer, a musician, a comedian, an intellectual.  He is my tenor. He is my Cosmic Twin. 

Father's Day, 2002(ish?).  For some reason, Isaac and I just decided to spend the day together.  His enormous clan was gathering at his grandma's house.  I was the only non-Quiroga, but they always made me feel like a part of the family.  I had attended several other parties of theirs, and I was no longer allowed to show up without my guitar.  They didn't have to twist my arm very much, seeing as Isaac's uncle Fernie sometimes threw $20 bills my way for my rendition of "American Pie".  Isaac's grandfather started the party by giving us a speech (en español).  It went on and on, and Isaac's dad rolled his eyes.  Isaac quietly explained that his grandfather was instructing us to think of the children, and to not drink to excess, and that this party was about family, etc.  At the close of his diatribe, Isaac's dad looked at me and Isaac and said, "Bring on the tequila!" 

We ate to our hearts' content, drank a little, sang a little, and Isaac and I decided that since we were in the right town, we would go see my dad, too.  It was a slightly different experience at my dad's place, and Isaac and I didn't stay long.  Even though the sun was setting on us, we decided our last stop would be a bar on Mesa.  We yukked it up, played some pool, had a couple shots, and I tried to read Isaac a chapter out of a textbook on the ride home (a major gift on my part if you know how carsick I get).  That was probably my favorite day with Isaac.

No comments: