Thursday, June 28, 2007

Introducing Aimee


Nicknames.  I make fun of the guy who insists on giving all his friends nicknames.  Since my blog project has begun, I realize... I am that guy.  I nickname everyone.  To be fair, the reason I call Aimee "Sheppy" is because there were three Amy/Aimees in our office, and we had to distinguish.  Although none of those foxy ladies work with me anymore (thus negating the need for nicknames), it's a struggle to call them by their given names. 

Introduction.  Sheppy.  Sheppers.  Sheepperdoodlydoo.  Crazy about that gal.  She and I had to work Gay Pride Day 2004, in a building that was directly on the parade route.  The two newbies in the office, we didn't know to ask for the day off.  We probably wouldn't have gotten it off, anyway.  We did get to wear jeans to work, though.  We tag-teamed it all day, one person going downstairs and watching the floats while the other manned phone calls.  In the meantime, our drunken compatriots staggered upstairs to visit with us.  After 8 hours of resentment, we decided to jump in a cab and get a glass of wine elsewhere.  We arrived at Sullivan's where I met Janet (to be exposed later) who served us pinot grigio and appetizers.  We told each other our life stories.  This was the first time I really got to know what an amazing journalist she is.  And funny as all get out.  She is easily the funniest woman I know.  On the cab ride home, Sheppy advised the cabbie, "Take good care of her.  She is a blushing flower."

Comedy.  I realize what a wonderfully naughty sense of humor Sheppy has when I take comedy too far with other friends.  If anyone ever saw the text messages we send back and forth, they would either gag or think that we are a passionate lesbian couple. 

Education.  I have learned so much from Sheppy.  How to talk to boys.  How to talk to girls.  How to get a raise.  How to draw a line in the sand.  How to go back to school despite debt and work constraints.  How to tip your server.  How to stand up for your friends.  Sheppy is consistently strong and outspoken.  I often pretend to be her when I am in a stressful or unpleasant situation.  There is only one time I can think of when I was stronger than her.  Sheppy and I planned an evening together.  She called me to push back the time at the last minute.  I waited an hour.  She called again.   I waited another hour.  She called again.  She was outside of my house.  Stuck in a cab.  Taxi-man would not let her pay with a credit card.  When Sheppy originally got in the cab, she told him she had no cash, and he was fine with it.  Sheppy told me she was a little scared.  It was after 11pm, and the tone in her voice was the most vulnerable I ever heard from her.  I stormed out of the vestibule.  I jumped in the cab, slammed the door, and launched into a diatribe that sounded a little like, "$19.05, hmmm.  Since you have decided to deceive my friend, and hold her hostage while she is ready to pay good money for a long ride from downtown, you will drive us to the next ATM machine on your dollar.  Take a right at the end of the street.  Don't mind me while I look for a nickel.  You will NOT be getting a tip.  (Aside to Sheppy) This is bullshit."

Sheppy took my arm and smiled, "Boner."  When we arrived at Bridgeview Bank on Clark, she inserted her debit card. 

"This machine is unable to perform the transaction.  Sorry for the inconvenience." We had to laugh.  I tried my own card as I reminded the cabbie that I have already made a note of the charge before we left for the ATM.  "This machine is unable to perform the transaction.  Sorry for the inconvenience."  Big laugh. 

"Well, car #5486," I chortled, "Looks like you're going to have to drive us to another ATM.  This one has nothing left." 

"Well, sometimes this credit card machine does work," Taxi-man admitted.  "Let me try your card, and we'll see if it works."  And guess what?  Sheppy the Tipper refused to stiff him, and I guess that was her prerogative.  He offered us a free ride home, and we chose to walk. 

Farewells.  Although we are relatively new friends, we have been around to seen each other through a few major family issues.  Marriage, pregnancies, kidneys, death in the family, we have been each other's counselors.  It seems whenever one is up, the other is down, and we keep each other floating along.  The day Sheppy told me she was moving, she cried.  I didn't.  I blame the last year for my unusual lack of tears.  If there is anything I think I can teach my teacher, it is that farewell does not mean goodbye.  I never thought I could make closer bonds than my childhood friends.  In this short amount of time, I have fallen madly in friendship with Sheppy.  I am not worried about us in the least.  Thankfully she is going to a place that I visit semi-regularly.  Gone are the days of our twice weekly excursions to Lensly's, Egan's, Andy's or her apartment.  However, I guess it will be a good chance for both of us to get to the gym more often. 

No comments: