Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Introducing Annie

Annie and I are in the Brunette Brigade.  Her hair is fabulously curly, and mine is phenominally straight.  There is a third member of the brigade, Megan, whose hair is fantastically thick.  We are all mezzo sopranos and sat together in several music classes throughout college.  Really, can you think of any better reasons to start a brigade? 

 

My friend Annie is one of the best people I know.  She is smart, funny, and nice.  I know those seem like mundane qualities on paper.  Annie always studied hard, and as far as I know she is still working on her Ph.D .  She is one of the kindest people I have ever met.  She really listens to people, and she has a big beautiful laugh that makes you feel like a the funniest person in the world.  Also, she has great legs.  And she wears high heels.  As an altitude-deficient person, I am totally jealous!

 

I'm not what you would describe as a religious person.  When I get on a plane, though, I will pray to whatever deity will listen.  Right before our college choir boarded a flight to Italy, Annie's dad gathered a group of us together, and just kinda made a shout out to God.  It was so sweet and casual, and I really felt better when we got on the plane.  I think it's so nice when parents reach out and shelter their kids' friends.  That family raised a lovely, brave, intelligent girl. 

 

It takes more than just an ounce of bravery to leave your nest to strike out on your own in Japan.  But Annie managed to pack her bags and do it right after college.  She has lived in a lot of big cities since then, and she is still the same old gal.  The last time I talked to her on the phone, she was talking about being starstruck when big names would walk into the restaurant she was hostessing.  I know that it won't be long before people are acting the same way when they meet her. 


No comments: