Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Introducing Hugo

I have to be honest.  I didn't like Hugo when I met him.  He was in my physics class.  He seemed sort of aimless and goofy.  Typical college party boy.  Besides, vocalists didn't hang out with instrumentalists.  Back then I certainly couldn't imagine he would become one of my great musical influences. 

As a music major, I had a certain number of recitals I had to attend per semester.  I only listened to vocal concerts, because, well... I was a singer.  I didn't see the point in watching instrumentalists.  What could I learn from them?  And there were no words.  My voice teacher, Chris, always pushed us to go to band recitals.  I refused.  For years.  Then, my last year of school, I went to see a jazz band thing.  And Hugo had a solo.  It was called "The Preacher".  Hugo walked to the front.  The band began to play an instrumental gospel choir arrangement.  Hugo planted his feet, took a breath, leaned back, and blew his horn.  Until that moment, I had not understood what an instrument was singing.  Hugo was the preacher, the band was the church, and I understood every word.  He was confident and strong, a 180 degree turn from the boy in my physics class. 

I have had the good. fortune to collaborate with Hugo at live performances and in the studio.  He is incredibly inspired, multi-talented, humble, and generous.  I wish him the best in all of his efforts, musical or otherwise. 


No comments: