Thursday, July 26, 2007

Introducing Tayo


Tayo affects people.

There are very few people who see me without my makeup. I am a Texan, after all. I will not wear makeup to the gym, though. I guess that's the New Mexican in me. Tayo is one of the clan of Cheetah staffers who sees me looking worn down 90% of the time. I'm always self-conscious about going bare-faced, but Tayo's smile makes me feel like I'm dressed up for prom. The first day I went to the gym, I handed Tayo my driver's license. He steadied a little digital camera on the counter, "Oh, we need to get your picture on file."

"Um," I quietly grunted, "I look horrible."

Tayo looked in the lens and grinned, "No, you look beautiful." Usually I ignore comments like that because I'm convinced it's a bunch of hot air. For some reason, when Tayo said it, I felt better.

Marky and I always discuss our work days once we get home to the couch. My stories are usually about exasperating clients or the A/C giving out. Before Tayo left the Cheetah clan, Marky would often come home and simply remark how sweet Tayo is. Tayo probably told Marky he was beautiful, too.

Tayo is one of those people I was not really connected to until the whole kidney fiasco. He checked in with me often via MySpace, and I know I have said it before, but it gave me a sense of security. When Tayo came to visit Marky at St. Joe's he was outnumbered by my six coworkers who were visiting as well. We all left him alone with Marky so that we didn't overcrowd the room. Some people get nervous in hospitals, and many people didn't know what to say to Marky when they saw him lying there, but not Tayo. When I checked on Marky later, he told me that Tayo was reporting on all of the crap going on at work. It made him feel normal. I'm getting misty remembering.

The Tayo Effect. Just by being there he makes you feel normal, comfortable. It's a gift.

No comments: