Thursday, July 19, 2007

Introducing Kelly

To begin, I would like to admit that this blog has become really all about me.  But how else would I know these people unless I, myself, had had some experiences with them?  Onward.

Who is this girl who keeps listening to the same Bob Schneider album over and over again?  And how are they getting away with calling her sister "Little Brain"?  Why are we laughing at Connie's pain--do we know her?  Being a newbie in the key department is like watching a comedic movie in a foreign language.  The theater is filled with people who get the joke, but can't explain it to you because they are asphyxiating with laughter.  

The original lineup was Kelly, Mark, Sheppy, and Ashlee.  I joined the team in April 2004.  I watched and listened carefully for a month or so.  Then the ice started to break.  Kelly has seemingly endless patience and kindness.  Other than work, she is a music fan.  She likes to listen to CD's, go to concerts, and share her favorites with friends.  It is difficult to describe in black and white how passionate she is about music.  She's PASSIONATE.  And loyal as the day is long.  Jimmy Newquist will always be her future husband.  Sorry Moe.  Kelly also supports every one of her friends' musical endeavors.  I would like to think she is surrounded by Chicago's finest, but I think if we all sucked, she would still shake her tailfeather at our shitty concerts.

She is also a consumer of literature, comedy, and combinations of the two.  Early on in my employment, Kelly hipped me to the fact that Eddie Izzard would be signing his new DVD at Tower Records.  I expressed more than a passing interest.  And we were off.  We didn't know each other well yet, but we had Eddie in common.  And how long could this possibly last?  I'd probably be home by 9:30.  

Kelly and I arrived to see a line spilling down the stairway and wrapping around the back of Tower Records in Lincoln Park.  And almost instantly, we all got into the building.  I was feeling very confident that we would be in and out in an instant.  Kelly had a concert to go to by 8, and this was going to work out just fine.  Hundreds of us poured into the large conference room, where we listened to Eddie's voice, but couldn't see anything but a shred of his jeans and white shirt through the armpits of the throng.  After a 15 minute speech, his assistant told us it was time to assemble for the signing.  We would all be put into groups and released from the room in an organized fashion.  People began rushing to the exit end of the room.  Kelly and I, ever polite, did not try to push or shove to the front, assuming that everyone would have a fair shot at getting to the front of the line.  We were the last group to get into the line.  Hmpf.  

Kelly and I got to the task of comparing college stories, romances, and family.  We really hadn't gotten to talk for more than a few sentences at a time at the office, and this was our first date as friends.  Sharing a space in an endless line with a virtual stranger can go either way, but Kelly proved to be an excellent line partner.  We both clutched our three DVD's to be signed by Eddie, and looked forward to getting a glimpse at the comedic genius we both adored.  The night was wearing on, though, and Kelly needed to get to her concert.  We weren't making much headway in the line, and after almost two hours in line, Kelly handed me her DVD's and reluctantly exited Tower Records.  I promised her I would get her signatures and pictures of Eddie.  

I stood through the Scissor Sisters album, having to deal with drunken college students putting on fake English accents, and sore feet, for three more hours.  By the time I reached two people from the end of the line, I felt more sorry for Eddie than anyone else.  I resolved to run up to him, rattle off the names he should dedicate the DVD's to, ask the assistant to snap our picture during the exchange, and get the hell out of his way.  It went a little differently than I planned.  

I handed my camera to the guy, walked up to Eddie and blurted, "Hi, these are for Ben, Megan, Kelly, Mo, Chris, and Bree."

"I can only sign three of these, that is the limit," Eddie said.  

"Oh, ok." And I quickly, sadly, re-prioritized.  

Expecting him to rush me along, Eddie surprised me when he said, "And what is your name," which I almost forgot.  "Bree, so you're a cheese name, hmmm?"  Having heard this a million times, I grunted.  He started again.  "I once knew a girl named Bree who only wore real diamonds bought for her by her sugar daddy," and I almost passed out.  "Here you go," he handed me the DVD's, "let's smile for the camera." Click.  And I was on my way.

The next day, Kelly was breathless with anticipation.  Although I didn't get all the signatures she wanted, she put her disappointment aside and was truly excited for my adventure.  I wish she could have seen it though with me.  We did both make a new friend that night, and we both learned something.  

Push and shove. 

No comments: