Thursday, July 26, 2007

Introducing James


What a sweetheart.  James was the sweetest guy around.  He chewed cinnamon gum and played the drums and dyed his hair blue.  He and I dated for a very short time in high school, and although this was not my style, we remained friends afterward. 

I got to know James on the choir trip to California sophomore year.  He let me French braid his hair and that was pretty much it for me.  He lived in this house that had beautiful red flowers growing up along the garage.  Being the wannabe hippie flower child I was, I wanted some for my hair.  James, who was normally very chill, looked me dead in the eye and warned me, "Those are my mom's roses.  Nobody touches her roses."  I was a little upset, but decided not to fight it.  The next date we went on, James smuggled a little bouquet of the roses for me.  I imagined that he risked life and limb to get me those flowers.  Every 16-year old girl wants their boyfriend to do a Prince Charming thing like that. 

James and I had chance to catch up after a year of college.  He gave me a demo tape of his band Next Door Dobbin.  I really liked it.  Sadly, after the Cabriolet went the way of the junkyard, I no longer had a way to play tapes.  Many years have passed, and James recently made a music profile for Next Door Dobbin.  I'm such a groupie, because I got totally excited to hear "Positively Here".  Anyway, it's nice to know he's doing well.  And I hope he still does Prince Charming stuff for his fiancee. 

No comments: