Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Introducing Elena


And now we meet the talented, the lovely, the selfless, the hardest working lady in opera....  Elena!!

During college, I worked as the choral librarian/student recruiter for NMSU choirs.  I answered letters, emails, made phone calls to kids/parents who had expressed interest in the program, etc.  Now, NMSU was no Juilliard.  I'm not saying I didn't learn anything there, it's just a state school in New Mexico where average kids go.  The most we got from these high school kids was "I play a little piano," or "I started singing in 6th grade."  Largely, I had no idea who was on the other end of the telephone line.  I would review all of the potential students on a weekly basis with my boss/choir director, and she would make decisions about kids who were eligible for scholarships, what choirs they could be in, and the like. 

One day, the boss lady called me into her office to show me a potential student.  This student had sent in a resume.  Not just a cardstock sheet, either.  This was a bound folder with a full color glossy headshot, repertoire, concerts, acheivements, and perfect grades.  This girl's name was Elena, and I was instantly jealous of her.  I saw her befriend instrumentalists and sing jazz as well as classical.  She got into a great studio and choir much faster than I did.  I really didn't bother to get to know her until a couple years later. 

After a late hiatus from school, I had one semester left.  I joined the a cappella jazz group that Elena was involved in.  I struggled to sight read this weird music that came to her so naturally.  We got a gig in Albuquerque.  We stayed at this hotel, and five of us shared 2 rooms.  I knew I would have to get to know her since we were sharing a room, but I was nervous to reveal myself to this girl who seemed to have it all figured out at such a young age.  But the morning after the gig, we sat in bed in our pajamas watching VH-1.  And she was super nice.  I had to give in and like her. 

Elena is realistic, sensible, and  disciplined.  She chips away at big projects in little, regular steps.  And she just keeps going.  She rarely lets her emotions get the better of her, like so many of her musician colleagues.  Upon her college graduation, she had budgeted enough money to fly all over the country to audition for her next music program.  She researched professors, facilities, and she ran her white-gloved index finger over each keyboard.  OK, I just imagined her doing the white glove thing, but she was thorough.  She found the right program, sang her ass off, and she is where she wants to be today.  The great thing is, she would probably tell you she is far from perfect.  So, I will rephrase.  Elena is right where I want her to be.  I am beyond proud of her. 

Elena was part of the group who sang at my wedding.  I begged them not to, because after a million wedding gigs for friends, I didn't want anyone to feel obligated.  She insisted, and it was one of the highlights of my life.  The night before the wedding, at the bridal shower, she also insisted that we go out as bachelorettes.  She told me she was going to stay with me all night and do whatever I wanted to do.  We, of course, went to karaoke.  I made her sing, against her will, and she was terrific.  She is much more comfortable singing backup for me on "Chain of Fools," but Elena is nobody's backup singer. 

No comments: