Thursday, July 5, 2007

Introducing Kathy


Kathy almost broke into my apartment. 

During opera rehearsal, Kathy and Elena seemed to keep their hands very busy with their crocheting projects.  Even though I thought it was a little antiquated, I decided to get on the bus.  Kathy is the woman who taught me how to crochet.  She sat me down with a couple skeins of yarn and a movie.  At the end of the night, my eyes were tired and I had a trapezoidal potholder/blanket/shawl that I was very proud of.  I, in turn, taught Kathy how to make a quilt.  Even though I was a complete novice in the quilting game, I taught her some basic techniques, and got better at quiliting in the process.  This all sounds very nerdy, I know.  Kathy is one of those semi-ADD types like myself, though, and she knows how to keep her hands busy.  I adore that. 

Parlor Trick: Kathy knows how to give her stomach a hickie using a drinking glass, some toothpaste, and a match. 

The night Kathy tried to break into my apartment, I heard a little tapping on the porch window.  Arriving unannounced, Kathy had knocked on the door, and I didn't hear it.  She simply climbed over the little guard rail on my porch, and tossed pebbles at the sliding glass door.  The thing was, our apartment was on the second floor--she had shimmied up the side of the apartment building!  When I looked through the veritcal blinds, there she was, holding onto the guard rail for dear life, giggling her butt off.  

David, Marky, Kathy, and I had social hour that night.  As the night wore down, it was time for Kathy to say good-night.  Something that belonged to Kathy was downstairs in David's car (if memory serves).  David gave Kathy his car keys to get her stuff.  After retrieving her things, Kathy stood below us on the sidewalk, and we looked down on her from the second floor porch.  Kathy gently tossed the keys to David, but misjudged the distance.  The keys landed on the pitched roof of our apartment complex.  It was about midnight, and we couldn't call our engineer.  We had to get those keys.  Kathy came back upstairs to help. 

We tried to use a broom, but couldn't really swipe the top of the roof from our vantage point.  We tied a string and a ballast-y type object to the end of the broomstick and swung it around, hoping to catch the keys, but the string just wasn't long enough.  Each of the four people working on this project suffered from EHDS (Extreme Height Deficiency Syndrome), and we needed to put our heads together.  Kathy climbed up on David's shoulders and tried again.  She was hanging over the rail two stories up, and David was unsteady.  Marky grabbed Kathy's belt so that she could lean out and swing again.  I was laughing so hard that I was no physical help to anyone, but I did take pictures.  Kathy and David finally got the keys off the roof, BTW.

No comments: