Saturday, July 21, 2007

Introducing Tim


Tim is a friend from high school.  He was a year older than me, and we were both in choir.  He and Aaron (to be exposed later) were good buddies, and they would gang up on me to make me laugh.  Tim had this  booming voice and lumbering physique that made all of his comedy all the funnier.  All he had to say was "SHOOOOSH!" and I would double over with hysterical laughter.  The more I laughed, the more he would SHOOSH me.  Tim was just a big old sweetheart who could also handle talking to parents.  My mom asked about him often and always looked forward to giving him a hug after choral concerts.  As the year came to an end, we fell out of touch, and then he was out of the picture.


About 6 months later, my mom and I were in the food court at Coronado, and there was Tim.  I barely recognized him.  The doughy high school dude had been replaced by a lean energetic soldier.  Tim had been in boot camp.  When he started running in the morning, he lost all kinds of weight and got kinda buff.

 

That is the last time I saw Tim, but he found me on MySpace about a year ago, and we keep in touch now and then. He is still running like there is no tomorrow, and the military has obviously been good to him.


I feel like I am repeating myself when I say that I didn't really know Tim that well in high school.  And he is one of those low-maintenance friends who just checks in now and then to make sure there haven't been any earthquakes since we talked last.  I can't say that I know all the details of the life he is living.  However, there is always room for one more prayer, and I know that Tim is in my corner.  I am there for him too.

No comments: