Sunday, July 15, 2007

Introducing Brian

Brian likes cars.  I just had to get that out of the way. 

Back in college, Marky and I had some mutual friends who led us to Brian.  I suppose we each knew him around the high school/college cusp, but we had most of our good times with Brian at NMSU.  One of my first dates with Marky was to the OP in El Paso, accompanied by Brian.  As well as being one of the only good gay bars in the area, it was the only place that played good dance music, so there ya go.  A few weeks down the road (when I was out of town for a spell), my aunt's friend, Javi, spied Marky at the OP with Brian.  Oh, the rumors flew.  But Brian was just super fun, and Marky is super gay-friendly, so they went out a lot.  House-hunting with Brian and Andrew (Brian's then-boyfriend) was a blast.  We found some really cool places for rent, but our rental agents had a tough time finding a space that would take 4 cars and allow our non-traditional situation.  I got a call from Brian telling me that he and Marky had found an amazing place, to trust them, and let them sign the lease in my absence.  They found a goldmine that had 3 bedrooms, separate living, dining, and laundry rooms, a huge kitchen, a gigantic backyard, a carport that fit most of our cars, and (drumroll, please) a functional jacuzzi!  At the time, I was doing a lot of concerts that required glitzy formal dresses.  I needed ample hanging space.  I told Brian and Andrew that they could have the third bedroom to themselves if they let me and Marky have the master bedroom, which had a walk-in closet that was larger than my current apartment's bedroom.  They agreed.  We loved it. 

Both couples had housewarming parties with our respective circles of friends.  Marky and I had some family come by when Brian and Andrew weren't present.  We gave them the nickel tour, showing off all of the features, and talking about our good friends who shared the house with us.  At this point, we felt newly open with our families about living in sin.  We had not yet discussed the other alternate lifestyle under our roof.  When family members oohed and ahhed about the size of our bedroom, they asked the inevitable--which room did Brian get?  And Andrew?  When we told them the boys shared a room...  (slight pause)...  "Ohhhhhhhh," emanated from the now enlightened group. 

Andrew and Brian had a housewarming party later that week.  The party consisted mainly of gay men, who took the same nickel tour.  They all liked what they saw, but the piece de resistance was always my walk-in closet.  When the party arrived at the major seeling point, they took one look at the sequined full-length gowns, and their wide-eyed looks and gaping mouths prompted Brian and Andrew to quickly explain that they did not live with drag queens, but *ahem* a straight couple...  (slight pause)... "Ohhhhhhhh."

No comments: