Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Introducing TJ

There are a few things I have learned in my life regarding relationships.  My dad's sister, although my parents were divorced, insisted that my mom not divorce her.  In school, I always liked to act grown-up and talk like a human to my friends' parents.  Lastly, I have learned to be more open to people who find me on MySpace.  I think I am going somewhere with this. 

TJ is the mother of Damian, who was my friend/boyfriend in school.  TJ was always a super cool mom.  She was so artsy and made these funky little clay fairies with feathers and wings.  She also would do your horoscope if you asked.  Once she spilled some pink paint on the carpet that just wouldn't come out.  Instead of replacing the carpet, she considered dyeing the whole floor hot pink, which just about made me fall in love with her.  Also, at age 17, Damian announced to her that we were to be married.  Instead of throwing a fit and freaking out, she very calmly explained why we should wait.  The Shakespearian notion of betrothing myself to another teenager kinda lost it's sparkle that day.  But I am so glad she talked to us.  I didn't even consider marriage until 12 years later. 

A couple years down the road, I did a musical with TJ.  I wasn't sure if she would be interested in talking to me, because her son and I had broken up.  She welcomed me into the cast and we had some awesome backstage talks.  I got a live-and-let-live lesson that summer. 

When TJ and I found each other on MySpace, we chatted a bit, and found we still had things to talk about.  Turns out that even though she is doing a grown-up job, she still finds the time to sing, act, paint, and create.  I really needed to hear that.  When I think that I am spinning my wheels and need to become an adult, I just turn to the most interesting women in my life to see what they are doing.  TJ didn't disappoint.  She found herself flying to Chicago and we planned a brunch session.  It was all too short, and I was going through some rough times, but it was so nice to see her.  She hasn't changed a bit.  And it seemed that my emotional turbulance helped us steer past small talk and get to the good stuff immediately.  TJ still has so much good advice and life experience to learn from.  And she has a huge heart.  I am lucky to know her. 

No comments: