Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Introducing Amber


It took moving to Chicago to meet a bunch of Texans.  Never have I felt more like a Texan, either.  I usually consider myself a New Mexican, but I may have to change that, at the very least, to New Texican, for the sake of the Bob Schneider concerts. 

I met Amber through Ashlee.  They went to Roosevelt together (am I getting this right, ladies?) to get their degrees in Theater.  When I think of Amber, I think of rosy cheeks, giggles, and la langue Française.  Amber appears to be a sweet, fragile flower, but she can be a bulldog when challenged.  She also has a cat named Chocolate who does a mean imitation of a trotting pony.  She also has a wonderful husband, Michiel, who has the most fascinating silver hair I have ever seen. 

Amber is classy.  She worked at a high-falutin' internation hotel for the longest time, conducting business in French, and gracefully dealing with her stressful position.  She can also throw on a pair of jeans, slug down a Shiner Bock, and sing along with "Assknocker" at a Bob concert. 

I recently read the book The Time Traveler's Wife and I could not get Amber and Michiel out of my mind.  I see a lot of couples that have one dominant partner and one who just rides along for the money, image, whatever.  Amber and Michiel are one of the few couples I know who really respect and understand each other.  Through any struggle, at the end of the day, they love one another.  It takes two to make a good marriage, and Amber is a strong woman who holds up her end of the bargain. 

No comments: