Sunday, April 11, 2010

Finally Got My Wings

Last night I shared the stage with one of the coolest bands in the city, The Honeybees.  A last-minute benefit left them without a backup singer, and since I knew a few songs from my audition last year, the lead singer, Barb, hit me with an email.  If it'd been more than a half-hour gig, I would've been a little nervous, but still wouldn't have passed this chance.  

After a full day of the ol' day job, and my big debut as a designer in a fashion/art studio opening in Pilsen, I made my way to the Cobra Lounge for this half-hour rockabilly set.  Long day.   Barb had told me it was a punk bar, and asked if I had something punk/retro to wear.  Aside from black nail polish, I'm about as un-punk as they come, so I went full retro with pearls and a French twist.  When I walked into the Cobra Lounge, my teeny tattoos dropped to their knees and worshipped at this altar of full sleeves and teardrops.  My happy harmonizer vocal cords quaked with every gutteral screech from the preceding thrash band.  But I felt 100% comfortable.  The patrons were friendly, and the sound guy even let me place my Flip Video Cam on his plexiglass (possibly bulletproof) partition.  "Cheat" is my favorite song from their catalogue, and I have a big fat role in the vocals, so check it out.  

The sweet set of Honeybees songs we performed may not have broken any glass, but when we sang "Be My Baby," I spied a dude tattooed up to his neck, smiling and bobbing his head like a schoolgirl.  At the close of the show, Barb handed me a bracelet in thanks.  Her friend in Las Vegas crafts these handstrung bangles with alphabet beads.  Mine reads "Boozer."

Thanks for a great night, Honeybees!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.