Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Purl Paranoia

During the last three weeks, I've been advised by other small business owners.  I didn't really consider Crafty McSchnafty a "business" until now.  The b-word  is so stuffy, right?  And it was really more of a hobby that paid for my yarn addiction.  True, I have designed a couple patterns for fruit suits, and yes, I've sold some stuff.  However, I don't think it's going to be my main source of income until I can get my sweaty mug printed on millions of skeins of yarn.  Side note: My yarn will only come in green.  Dozens of shades of green.  Two different artist/lady/friends have told me that the minute I declare myself a business owner/designer, then it becomes true.  Ok, world...

I'M A DESIGNER WHO RUNS A SMALL B-B-BUSINESS! 

Now what?  I feel there should be some sort of ritual, more than just a declaration.  What would make me feel official?  Paperwork!  When you purchase an item from a business, you get a receipt.  So I bought a book of receipts for this art expo thing I'm doing in April.  Even though they don't have my name printed on them, I feel very business-y.  Next, designers make and follow patterns, yes?  Well, even before I read Fahrenheit 451˚, I loved the rote method of teaching and learning the arts.  Admittedly, though, I'm getting bogged down.  Rather than than allowing all these fruit suit, schneed, hat, and arm/legwarmer ideas to continue rattling around in my head, I've written them down.  I would love for a master knitter to look at them (much like I used to call on my dear voice instructor to check my rudimentary arranging attempts), and pat me on the head for my effort.  It is a great relief and a proud designer moment for me.  Maybe I'll publish a book of patterns.  Which brings me to my next quandry;  Should I only share these ideas for a fee? 

Aside from two paid half-hour lessons in knit and crochet and a $12.50 tip I left in Silver's e-jar, I've pirated the vast majority of my stitch vocabulary from blogs and free internet sites.  Do I pay it forward?  Did I steal from starving artists, or did I get a bone from some rich, bored suburban housewife?  Perhaps I need to move forward and not worry about the past.

Either way, I have two events coming up in April that feature my b-word.  *Fingers crossed* I will run out of receipts at said events.  Crafty will keep you posted.  

2 comments:

Antonia Cardella said...

Congrats, Crafty!

慧珊雅俊 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.