Thursday, March 11, 2010

Hide The Banana!

In my search for a knitting community, I stumbled across a Craigslist ad asking for knit and crochet teachers to submit their websites.  Not entirely sure what I was getting into, I took the bait.  I got a cheerful response from Jenny who informed me the teaching position had been filled, but I was still invited to a regular Wednesday Stitch 'n' Bitch.  She also asked if I had a raffle item to offer, in exchange for some free advertising on the event page.  Mere hours before, the Fruit Suit (aka Banana Hammock, aka Johnny Coat, aka Willie Warmer) had been born and photographed.  I emailed a pic, and before I knew it, my little banana cozy was the official photo for the event!  After blushing with joy, I got to work making a few more, just in case.

At this time, I should probably mention the grey matter behind the Fruit Suit.  Girls' Weekend in Utica.  Two days, five funny ladies, seven bottles of wine.  After watching me knit an American Flag hat for the Knitting Olympics, my friend Amanda told me she wanted me to knit a fruit cozy for a banana.  I asked what color.  She wanted it to look just like a banana, of course.  Hysterical laughter ensued.  She probably thought I'd forget after Girls' Weekend.  Crafty McSchnafty never forgets an order. 

The name "Fruit Suit" was not my idea, either.  I left the banana cover on my desk at work, and asked passers by what the official name should be.  There were many decent contenders, but after two days of searching, my manager Ridge came up with the magical appelation (or is it apple-ation?).  

I flew solo to Mother's Too in Gold Coast.  I was pathetically early, and recognized Jenny from the event photos.  She was manning the bar, and admitted that Stitch 'n' Bitch attendance was unpredictable at best.  I assured her I was happy knitting and having a glass of wine.  Jenny (who is also a photographer) and I chatted about running a small business.  Then a gentleman at the bar, a contract physician for the military, offered his two business cents.  I ended up with a weatlh of very helpful and encouraging advice from these small business owners. 

The crochet instructor, Jessy, showed up.  In addition to increasing the fiber artist population by 100%, she was incredibly sweet and approachable.  We had a spirited discussion of crochet vs. knit.  In my toolbox, I unearthed a crochet hook, and asked Jessy if she would teach me to crochet a flower.  Crocheting circles has been a discipline I could never wrap my head around, but Jessy made it easy and clear.  I got into the cro-zone somewhere between Earth, Wind, and Fire and Eminem.  Oh, the pride I felt after completing my first crochet bloom!  My big yellow sunflower is tied to my camouflage backpack, currently. 

So, who's in for March 24th?

No comments: