Sunday, April 25, 2010

Easy Bake Lovin'

Here's what I want for breakfast.  I want someone else to decide for me.  I'll go for anything.  But when Marky suggested we go to a bakery for brunch, I scrunched up my nose. 

Boy, was I wrong to scrunch.

I'd passed Angel Food Bakery several times and noticed the whimsical signage, but thought I'd only find cookies and cupcakes within this mecca of perky retro decor.  This corner storefront is painted and accessorized in apple green and turquoise, and the staff is equally as colorful and sweet as the scenery.  We pored over the menu, and gazed at decades of vintage Easy Bake Ovens, high atop the cornice spanning the width of every wall.  Although the lunch menu is compact, every dish seems to be a winner.  The Niçoise salad and brisket sandwich were my top contenders until, in a frenzy of capricious indecision, I chose the vegetable tart!  Marky ordered a green salad, which was anything but boring.  Luckily I got the same salad on the side of my dish, otherwise I would have had to bat my eyelashes doubletime to get a few bites of his green-appled, lemon-vinaigretted deliciousness.  Asparagus, bell pepper, cheese and leeks danced in this delicate pie crust that could only have come from the hands of an expert pâtissière.  And bonus of bonuses, we happened in on Earth Day, and enjoyed coffee on the house!

Stepping up to the register, I insisted that we have some sort of dessert.  Marky genrally resists, but how could we?  I mean, there were Airstreams, Igloos, Whoopie Pies, S'mores, and Thin Mints calling out to us.  At the very least, we had to share something.  We settled on a chocolate-covered sour cherry macaroon.  Oh my.  What a naughty little dessert!  I think I blushed upon the first bite. 

Angel Food Bakery, you have won me over.  I shall return to try the rest of your menu, and to find out what exactly is inside the Airstream's foil wrapper...

No comments: