Saturday, October 13, 2007

Introducing Janet


I am pretty picky about friends.  My close friends are good, solid people.  That being said, I am not the type of person who can say, "Any friend of Joe's is a friend of mine."  It doesn't usually work that way.  As much as I like my friends, they are drawn to people like me, and I don't get along with other Sagittarians.  Ok, that's not always the case, but I am guarded when meeting a close friend of a close friend.  Then there's Janet.

Janet is nacho average friend.

The first time I met her, Sheppy and I had just worked through Gay Pride.  We took a cab to the Sullivan's and Janet made sure we ate and drank to our hearts' content.  She then asked us a favor, "I'm going to ask that you don't give me any money, because this isn't a big deal.  Just keep your money."  The next time I saw Janet, she came to The Back Room, exhausted after a long shift at Carmine's.  Fully expecting her to poop out after an hour, she not only stayed with us to the end of the set, but then went out with a group of us until something like 4am.  It was a really fun night that I won't forget. 

Janet and Sheppy are quite a team, having been roommates for years, and sharing a similar sense of humor.  They worked their tails off gathering donations at the Friends of Marky fundraiser.  A couple of times, I offered to relieve them of their duties, seeing that they were stuck at a table in front of a seemingly endless stream of people.  After several offers to take over, Janet explained to me that she actually had the best seat in the house, and she wanted to stay there all night, if that was okay.  She showed the same friendly work ethic when it came to Sheppy's going away party.  For a couple weeks, we schemed via telephone to convince an unwilling participant to go to her own farewell celebration.  Janet booked an awesome venue, brought people, and provided hilarious decor for the Mexican-themed "Nacho Average Going Away Party".  I guess I can take credit for somehow getting Sheppy there, but it was Janet's baby--I never could have planned something like that. 

Then there was the last time we went to Andy's together.  I don't even know how to describe why it was so special.  If it hadn't happened already, that night sealed the deal that Janet and I would be friends--and not just friends because we have a friend in common.  We easily could have been done with each other after the going away party, but, darn it, I just adore her. 

Janet has started a new journey (outside of Chicago) in her life, and I think about her often.  She is always the thoughtful one who remembers to call or text me.  It's too bad it took us so long to hang out, we were right under each other's noses for the longest time.  I know I will see her again. 

No comments: