Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Introducing Ben


This is another one of the toughest blogs to write.  I have sat down several times to attempt it, but I'm just not satisfied with what I have to say.  Well, last night, I had a dream about Ben, and I think it is time to just bite the bullet.   I'm making this sound like it is a chore to write about Ben.  That is not the truth.  Can I just get on with it?  My topics today will be Danger, Music, and Warm Fuzzies. 

Danger.  It is dangerous for me to work with Ben.  Dangerous for my productivity, dangerous for my vocal cords, dangerous for the Kleenex fund, because I had to wipe away so many tears of laughter.  Ben is one of the funniest humans I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.  Luckily, he worked an office away from me for the beginning of my employment here.  Then he moved to my office for awhile.  It is best that he left after a few short months.  How I didn't wet myself at some point is beyond me.  I can imitate just about any singer's voice, but I stink at adolescent boy sound effects.  Ben was patient enough to teach me to make a high pitched farting sound with my mouth.  Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time with him to teach me the sleepy dog sound.  Maybe someday we can have a pickup lesson. 

Music.  Ben is one of the best musicians I know.  He is a hell of a front man, singing and playing guitar for his rock band.  His CD is totally enjoyable, and he actually asked me to sing backup for him on a couple gigs in town.  Ben provided me with a feather boa and several very productive rehearsals.  It is really nice to work with someone who is musical, kind, and has a definite vision.  They weren't the easiest gigs in my life, but they were super fun.  Ben also introduced me to "Serenade" (Steve Miller) and "Custard Pie" (Led Zeppelin), which always make me happy when I hear them on my stereo. 

Warm Fuzzies.  The moment I met Ben, he made me feel like I had a big brother in the office.  He made sure I didn't hesititate when there was free pizza in the lunchroom.  He counseled me when I couldn't deal with the taste of green tea, despite its antioxidant powers.  He loaned me a DVD that I still haven't returned to him.  He can elicit laughter with a mere smile.  He is an excellent hugger.  I miss him. 

No comments: