Friday, October 5, 2007

Introducing Jessica


Looking back, I think Jessica and I made very weird first impressions on each other.  She appeared in Uni Singers as a much younger, much more musical individual than I, and I couldn't help but be intimidated.  And her first impression of me?... Well, you can ask Jessica and see what she admits.  Of course, after letting ourselves get to know each other better, we overcame those impressions. 

Jessica and I only went to school together for two semesters, but that was quite a school year.  That was the era of weekly parties, Corpus Christi, Italy, our short-lived jazz trio, and general mania.  She and Don could often be spotted choreographing the perfect cheer.  No matter how hard we danced, how much we frolicked, Jessica always smelled good and her makeup remained intact.  She was so confident and capable, sometimes I would forget that I was older than her.  When Jessica and Don left for Colorado, I was pretty sure the good times left with them.  However, they visited often, and it really felt like they never left.

On one particular visit home, Jessica brought along 3 other fabulously talented friends from her school.  The presence of my guitar was requested at this evening gathering.  Feeling a little nervous in front of her new friends, I played a quirky folk song or two for the singers, violin guy, and concert pianist.  Then violin guy picked up the guitar and played some much more complicated Dave Matthews and Led Zeppelin songs.  What was classical violin guy doing, knowing how to play hippy dippy music?  My iconoclast hustle wasn't working the way it usually did.  Although I loved what he played, I felt outdone and didn't dare pick up the guitar for the rest of the night. 

The next day, the same group gathered for a sunny afternoon of swimming at Jess's pool, and they wanted me to bring the guitar again.  They asked me to sing Bobby McGee.  Right when I wanted to lock up the guitar forever, Jessica told me that she and her friends decided something the night before.  I was ready for their scholarly advice.  Maybe they thought I should take some classes in flamenco.  Perhaps an etude or two could supplement my standard crappy Joan Baez songs.  Jessica took a deep breath, looked at her friends (who were looking at me intensely), and said, "We have decided that we could listen to you sing the phone book!"  Of course these people were just as nice as Jessica.  She wouldn't waste her time with anything but. 

Luckily, I still have a lifeline to Jessica, since her mom and dad have a home in the burbs.  I hear from her now and then, weddings, trips, milestones, etc.  It's nice to have her in my life--she is a friend who can easily pick up where we left off.  I hope to see her again soon. 

No comments: