Thursday, October 12, 2006

He Makes The Best F*$%in’ Films


Although I am not a long-time Martin Scorsese student, I really liked watching The Departed tonight.  You may want to skip this blog until you see it.  Now, go see it. Get!

I know I need to brush up on my Goodfellas and what have you, but geez, what a movie.  Originally I got excited because of Marky Mark and Matty Boy.  Come on.  I always pay top dollar to see either of them.  I know Nicholson is a box office guarantee, but I wasn't prepared for the brand of sinister comedy he would bring to the role.  I thought it would be pretty straight up.  I want to like Leo less.  I want to be resistant to his movie star qualities.  He is a MOVIE STAR.  His ability to appear physically larger is amazing.  Not to mention I could gaze at him for hours on end. 

One good thing about being a Scorsese novice is the element of surprise.  I began to relax 5 minutes from the end of the movie, thinking that someone would get some sort of happy ending.  Nope.  It's kinda the same big thrill I get out of scary movies.  I've seen, like, five of them.  Even a crappy horror movie scares the shit out of me. 

Oh!  And Alec Baldwin.  What a winner.  I saw him a couple nights ago on Conan, and it was one of the funniest interviews I have ever seen on Late Night.  He plugged Departed a bit, but he was there more for 30 Rock.  He also brought beautiful human comedy to an otherwise intensely serious movie. 

Try as I may to revolt against guy-stuff (X-Box, bad monster movies, double cheeseburgers, and the like) I got a huge boner for this guy flick.  Yay Marty!

No comments: