Monday, October 9, 2006

Doc Head


Time Saver:  If you want to save yourself from my rant, skip directly to the final paragraph.  You won't be sorry. 

Marky and I are doc heads.  We will watch any documentary about anything.  I suppose we gravitate more toward biographies, but we are usually up for anything.  Last night we watched "The Devil and Daniel Johnston."  We had looked forward to it for several days, only knowing that this god among men was adored by the likes of Kurt Cobain, Sonic Youth, The Flaming Lips, etc.  Seemed like an important figure in music history we ought to know more about. 

Watching that movie reminded me of the first and last time I hung out in Wicker Park (other than the Double Door--that's an oasis).  The people at this bar were so uppity and ridiculous, I could hardly breathe.  Lincoln Park gets a bad rap, but at least it's predictable.  I just can't get with the so-uncool-it's-cool thing.  I paraphrase Rieckelman when she said "Sometimes, you can just be TOO cool." 

We watched to the end, even some extra features.  Pros: There was a ton of footage (audio, photo, drawings, Super-8) from the very beginning of Daniel Johnston's life.  Daniel Johnston's descent into massive mental illness was fascinating to watch.  Cons: He did not deserve the title of "greatest singer/songwriter of all time" as the faceless emcee announced in the opening credits.  I patiently waited for his childish rhymes and clunky piano and guitar style to improve as the movie progressed.  I looked forward to hearing clips from covers of his songs by more likable artists.  Neither came to pass.  I'm all for simplicity.  But Daniel Johnston didn't have the ability to achieve any stylistic dynamics.  Gotta have a little light with the dark. 

If you have already seen "The Devil and Daniel Johnston," I would love to talk to you about it.  If you haven't seen it, and you trust my opinion, skip this movie and see "New York Doll" instead.  It is the biography of bassist Arthur "Killer" Kane of the New York Dolls.  Alcoholism, Recovery, Mormonism, Reunion.  Please watch it.

No comments: