Wednesday, June 16, 2010

This Is Why I Wax Poetic About Green Chile, Man.




This is becoming an addicti---tradition.  The last four times I've been to Albuquerque, I've visited The Range six times.   Marky and I thought it was just a lucky find outside our La Quinta but it turns out this is a really popular spot, with three locations in town.  I'm not much for popular, but The Range is irresistable.  And I've only ever gotten one thing.  It's a Southwestern breakfast staple, but Huevos Rancheros never appealed to me before coming here.  



Here's some Southwestern mosaic work outside the front door.  The place is actually filled with wacky 3-D artwork (Papier-mâché lanterns, coffee cups hanging on canvas, mailboxes disguised as trailers, and more) but I'm going to let you discover it for yourself when you make a trip out there. 



Ok, I'll give you this gigantic mirror framed in antlers!  Although this is the most impressive piece of art in the place, it's not really representative of what you'll find there.  I tried to get this picture with our fantastically beautiful waiter for some perspective.  Forget perspective--put him on the cover of GQ.  Anyway, this place is not an elk lodge.  Just take a trip to New Mexico, you wacky Midwesterners.  Trust me.  


This is it.  Huevos Rancheros. "Two eggs atop blue corn tortillas, white cheddar cheese, served with Range Frries, pinto beans and flour tortilla on the side.  Smothered with red or green chile."  The problem with the menu, is that this particular item is highlighted as a favorite by the Alibi, a local newspaper.  Who can disagree with a million New Mexicans?!  By the way, all New Mexican fare tastes better served on a hot FiestaWare dish.  In lemongrass, no less.  Our devastatingly handsome waiter must have seen into my soul when he picked that color for me.  
       

Well, there is the I-25 Omelette: "(It'll  get you to Denver!) diced ham, red bell pepper, onion, and cheddar cheese topped with green chile."  When I had a moment of indecision, my mom offered to get this dish so that I could have a sampling of each.  Although mom and I both found it impossible to speak when our gorgeous server asked how everything was, we were very pleased.  

No comments: