Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Funky Fresh Beets

Addendum: on 6/12/10, I made changes to improve this recipe.  See bottom of blog for details.

I love beets.  They are easily my favorite vegetable.  And to think, I almost wrote them off as yucky after a crash diet with my mom in the late 80's.  I don't remember much from that diet, except egg whites and canned beets.  Anyone would hate beets after that three-week massacre.  

Then my whole life changed.  The first roasted beet I ever had was the night before my wedding in 2006.  Marky and I shared a plate of salad with goat cheese, beets, pine nuts, and anise seeds.  There was a whole dinner and dessert afterwards, but all I wanted was more beet salad.  After the wedding, we ate from a buffet three times a day on our all-inclusive honeymoon resort.  And there were beets!!  When we got home, I learned how to roast my own beets, and proceeded to eat a beet every day for approximately two years.  

Suffice it to say, I cannot get bored of beets.  I will eat them no matter how extravagant or plain.  When I saw this recipe in a used copy of In Style in the gym, I tore it out of the mag, and went straight to Edgewater Produce (advertised previously on Piece Fleet's blog).  This recipe is de-li-cious.  We didn't have any watercress, and next time, I think I might skip the crème fraîche mixture, and do a straight up Greek yogurt thing. And don't forget to prepare a lovely salad and toasted bread on the side. Anyway, here's the recipe, straight from the January edition of In Style:


Beet Soup with Horseradish Creme Fraîche, Apples, and Watercress

2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp sherry vinegar, divided
1 Tbsp plus 1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 Tbsp sugar
1 lb small red beets, trimmed
1/4 c olive oil
1/2 c chopped shallots
1/8 tsp ground ginger
2 c vegetable broth
1/4 c crème fraîche
1 Tbsp prepared horseradish, drained
1 tsp lemon juice
2 apples
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Watercress sprigs and extra olive oil, for garnish

1. In a medium saucepan, combine 6 cups water, 1 Tbsp vinegar, 1 Tbsp salt, and sugar. Reserve 2 Tbsp of liquid. 2. Add beets to saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer from 45 minutes or until beets are tender. Let cool to room temperature, then peel and dice. 3. In saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-low heat. Add shallots, remainnig 1/2 tsp salt, and ginger. Sweat until softened, about 8-10 minutes. Do not brown. 4. Add beets, broth, 2 cups water, and 1 Tbsp vinegar to saucepan. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. 5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine crème fraîche, horseradish, remaining vinegar, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use. 6. With a melon baller, scoop out about 12 balls from the apples, leaving peel intact. Toss apple balls with reserved liquid. Set aside. 7. Working in batches, puree soup and oil in a blender until smooth.  Season with salt and pepper and ladle into individual bowls. 8. Garnish with apple balls, creme fraiche mixture, and watercress. Drizzle with olive oil.

The second time I made this recipe, I simplified it.  Skip the horseradish.  Boil the beets in water and 1 Tbsp vinegar until fork tender.  Saute shallots and about 2 Tbsp of fresh ginger in olive oil.  Peel and dice beets.  Add beets and broth to shallots, saute a little longer.  Add 1/2 tsp lemon zest and 1 Tbsp of fresh lemon juice to 1/2 c Greek yogurt.  Scoop out apple balls and cover with water and a little lemon juice. When beets are tender, blend until smooth.  Serve with a small scoop of yogurt and a few pieces of apple.   

No comments: