Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Few Good Frogs


During the past month, I've seen some good movies. We usually go to the theater every week, but in an effort to save a little cash, we've been hitting the Netflix pretty hard. Looking back, they're all French movies, but that's just a coincidence. If you have a problem with subtitles, get over it. These are all must see's.

La Vie En Rose. My mom has been suggesting this biopic for awhile. Edith Piaf is a voice you will almost certainly recognize, but might not love. Her style is dated and nasal, but once you watch her story, you will adore that snarly sound every time it pops up on your Billie Holliday Pandora station. Marion Cotillard is an amazingly beautiful actress who completely abandoned her looks for the role of La Môme. Like Mama Cass and Janis Joplin, Edith got by on her talent, not her looks. She had a ton of heart. This is one of the most tragic stories in show business--more than that. It's just a really sad start she got off to, and a sadder end, and I never knew any of it until now. And I share a birthday with her.

Man on Wire. This won for best documentary at the Academy Awards, right? Well, it was deserved. I love documentaries, and this is different than any one I've seen. A full-length feature about a French guy walking a tightrope between New York's Twin Towers. Although that's a monumental task, how could there be enough material for that? Of course, there are 21st century interviews of the international friends who helped him back in the 1970's. Then there's this amazing flashback material. The actors look SO much like the people in the interviews. And a quarter of the way through the film, you realize, they are those people. This story has waited 30 years to be told. This incredibly charismatic person surrounded himself with the most colorful, creative, positive crew he could find to help him achieve his ridiculous dream. And the most beautiful part is that he isn't the one who gets the most emotional about the memory. It was his walk, his art, but his friends seemed more invested in it than him. He was just a vessel for the inspiration to manifest itself.

JCVD. Just watched this last night. I haven't read any reviews, I just want to tell you what I think it was about. Jean Claude Van Damme. I know. The only movie I've ever seen him in is Time Cop. And I don't even know why I saw that in the first place. I'm not much for action movies. I suppose it's because there's no acting, per se, just action. Back to the subject, though, JCVD is a lovely surprise. Here's my take: Something surreal happens to a man who already lives a surreal life. The main character faces a divorce, loses custody of his child, goes home to Belgium, and appears to rob a post office. As far as I can understand (keep in mind, I know nothing about the man), this is not autobiographical. None of these events actually took place, but Jean Claude is portraying himself. And who's to say if he's really a sweet, honorable, horribly misunderstood person en realité? I think it crosses that line wonderfully. JCVD's soliloquy is worth the price of admission. And getting a good long look at that face that has been weathered by camera flashes and abusive cab drivers. Oh, and the cigarette trick--I think he must have done it in a thousand bad kickboxing flicks. Maybe it's because I live with a personal trainer, but his body is amazing. He's still so big and strong for his age. I'm getting simple on you. Sorry. Beautiful movie. Three beautiful movies. Rent them.

No comments: