Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Freek Five 2/17 - 2/23


I'm taking the 10-day challenge! I read a few articles on fiber: soluble versus insoluble, percentage of each you need, how to up your intake, etc. I've tried to eat a sensible cereal (ER Vital 100), but one article suggested Bran Buds. I tried it, and it's a difference of 10 grams of fiber per serving! I'll be honest, I probably eat more of a 1/2 cup serving rather than the suggested 1/3, but I'm not beating myself up about it. Try it. Throw a little Splenda and 1% milk in there, let it soak up a little. Yes, it looks like dry cat food. Roger is totally confused. but I think it's a good choice.

Another article suggested throwing some beans in your salad. I eat two a day, and put a handful of garbanzos in. Love me some garbanzos! My salad has really evolved in these few weeks from Romaine, cucumber, edamame and tomato to spinach, bell pepper, garbanzos, tomatos, cucumber, and cabbage. This week I'm doing red cabbage just to keep it interesting. I also broke down and went for light dressing. I really don't like it. Can anyone tell me if there is a Nicoise dressing in a bottle? It's my fave--maybe I should just make it at home.

I've switched from the generic 100 calorie bars with 5 grams of fiber to Fiber Plus bars which have 9. It's a difference of 20-30 calories, but it's totally worth it. They have two great flavors, dark chocolate almond and milk chocolate chip.

I had to buy some new fish oil capsules, and the bargain hunter in me just wouldn't shell out another couple bucks for the tasteless variety. Trust me, pay the extra couple bucks. I wish I had. Now I'm stuck with two giant bottles of fish oil that remind me they're in my tummy for a good hour after eating them. Small price to pay, lesson learned.

Lastly, to choke down 4+ liters of water a day, I've been spicing it up with Crystal Light. There are only about 4 flavors I like, and they're getting old. Ocean Spray came out with some new cran-varieties of take'n'shakes for your water bottle. They are GREAT!!!!!

2/17 - Breakfast: 1/2 Grapefruit, cereal, yogurt Lunch: ER Black Bean Soup, salad, cheese stick Snack: Pear, cheese stick Dinner: ER Spaghetti, salad, brussels sprouts, 100 calorie bar, skinny vanilla latte.

2/18 Workout: 15 min walk 3.5 mph 6.0 incline, 45 min run 5.8 mph 0.5 incline Breakfast: 1/2 grapefruit, cereal, yogurt Lunch: ER Black Bean Soup, salad, cheese stick Snack: Pear, cheese stick, 7 Hershey kisses Dinner: ER turkey meatloaf, zucchini, salad, 100 calorie bar, glass of red wine.

2/19 Workout: 60 min walking 3.5 mph 8.0 incline Breakfast: 1/2 grapefruit, yogurt, cereal, coffee Snack: 1.5 cups popcorn, bite of Bernard's chicken pie and spinach dip. Oh. My. God. It was good. Lunch: Campbell's Select Harvest Italian Vegetable Soup, salad, cheese stick Snack: Pear, cheese stick Dinner: ER Soy protein burger with swiss cheese, green chile, and grilled onions, sweet potato fries, salad, Fiber Plus bar.

2/20 Breakfast: 1/2 grapefruit, cereal, yogurt, coffee Snack: 2 small brownies Lunch: 1/2 brisket sandwich, cole slaw, mac 'n' cheese Dinner: An embarrassing assortment of chips/dip, pita/hummus, tomatillo soup, beer, wine, cookie. Happy birthday, Kelly!

2/21 Breakfast 1/2 grapefruit, cereal, yogurt, skinny vanilla latte Lunch: Progresso Lentil soup (yum!), salad Snack: Fiber Plus bar Workout: 40 min running 6.0 mph 0.5 incline, 20 min walking 3.5 mph 8.0 incline Dinner ER Basil cream chicken pasta, beet, salad, Fiber Plus bar Snack: Smart pop popcorn.

2/22 Breakfast: 1/2 grapefruit, cereal, yogurt, coffee Lunch: Campbell's Select Harvest Light Savory Chicken with Vegetables (delicious), salad, cheese stick Snack: Pear, cheese stick Dinner: ER Soy protein burger with swiss cheese, green chile, grilled onions, beet, sweet potato fries, salad, Fiber Plus Bar Snack: Smart pop popcorn.

2/23 Breakfast: 1/2 grapefruit, cereal, yogurt, coffee Lunch: Progresso Light Roasted Chicken & Vegetable soup, salad, cheese stick Snack: Pear, cheese stick Workout: 45 min elliptical/treadmill Dinner: ER soy protein burger with green chile, onions, muenster cheese, yellow squash, brussels sprouts, salad, Fiber plus bar Snack: Smart Pop Popcorn.

No comments: