Sunday, May 9, 2010

Newbie DIY Fair Vendor Survival Guide

Yesterday I was part of Indie in the Windy City's craft fair at Chelsea House in Uptown.  20% of all profits went to support Cornerstone Community Outreach.  There were all manor of crafters, and I'm learning more every day about participating in fairs. 


Levels, levels, levels.  At my first craft fair, I didn't even have a tablecloth.  Observing other vendors, I learned that I needed more than just a pile of stuff on my table.  This time, I brought Mannequiña.  Not only is she a superior model, but she creates a nice contrast to stuff lying on a card table.  And rather than pulling Schneeds on and off my own head to explain a weird clothing concept, she stands completely still and her hair never gets staticky.  I also now have a bushel basket for the Fruit Suits.  Next I plan to get some sort of shelf-y thing to stack up legwarmers and folded bikinis. 

Support thy neighbor.  If you are all you have, do your best, but it's really helpful to work in pairs.  That way, you can take breaks and have someone to hold the door for you.  My partner in crime is the owner of Mother Of Hermes Press.  This is the second fair we've been a team, and we'll be working Pitchfork in July.  Participating in a charity-based craft fair feels good, and it seems people are more inclined to purchase your product if it supports a cause.  And if you make some money at the fair, go ahead and buy a little something for yourself.  I couldn't resist the butterfly wing necklace from Bugs 'n Bones.  The pics on her Etsy site just can't do them justice--it's really one of the most beautiful pieces of jewelry I've ever seen.   

Marketing is as important as the product.  When we're talking about DIY fairs, my heart wants people to fall in love with my Fruit Suits, even if they're empty and stuffed in the bottom of a barrel.  My recent plastic fruit acquisition has helped with display, as has the lovely and talented Mannequiña.  I've also invested in clear vellum bags, green tissue paper and Crafty McSchnafty Stickers, so that my customers can help me advertise on their way out the door.  My next purchases will be a large folding table and a wheeled duffel bag to help with transport. 

This concludes my report on how to survive as a newbie.  Stay tuned for more words of wisdom.


1 comment:

Antonia Cardella said...

Well done. I used to do a lot of art shows and you learn something from each one.
XXTJ
PS I loved the article about you in the paper!