Thursday, August 17, 2006

Lucy In The Sky With Purls


I have officially been knitting for 9 days.  Ask me how it feels.  Okay, I'll tell you.  It feels great. 

I vowed not to hustle my knitting instructor.  I have hustled many a karaoke night, tetris battle, and domino table, but not Lucy.  That's the name of my Danish/Swedish/Hungarian knittista.  The accent escapes me, but it is relaxing as all get out.  And her hands!  They are petite and smooth.  Lucy has the hands of a teenager.  J'adore Lucy.  When I found out CloseKnit offered private knitting lessons, I just about peed myself.  Suffering from a case of acute schedulitis, a group class just wasn't going to happen.  $25 for an hour of individualized instruction was exactly what I needed. 

After admitting that I am an avid crocheter, and that I have struggled with knitting, we were off.  Lucy had me show her what I could do.  Since I vowed not to hustle, I had not reviewed any of my "moves" before the class.  When she asked me to cast on, I faltered, laughed, and moved on.  The whole experience reminded me of teaching kids how to sing.  There are a hundred things you can learn about a kid by watching them sing for 15 seconds.  After only seeing me make a big mess of my yarn, my instructor had my number.  Lucy had me make a couple of tiny style modifications, and my knitting instantly improved.

As our lesson sadly drew to an close, Lucy summed up my progress: I am quite efficient and I have very little motion.  I am halfway thorugh a manly scarf at this time.  Hopefully more of the men in my life can move to a cooler climate so that I can finally get away with 100% cheap Christmas gifts!!!

No comments: