Sunday, July 23, 2006

Old Guys Are The Best



At the risk of sounding terribly conceited, I just had to comment on a compliment I received last night at Chambers.

I was feeling a little nervous about singing Orange-Colored Sky because not only is it well known, but I have been overtly plagiarizing Natalie Cole's version. The five bazillion people who bought that album will soon be on to me. So, I get through the song, and trudged through the other 3 songs in the set. I am doubly worried that our repeat audience members are 'on to me' because I have yet to really hone my vocal improv skills. The songs sound the same every time. I am getting sick of hearing those sounds come out of my mouth.

Anycrap, I walk swiftly to my seat after finishing, and this old guy walks up to my table. Leaning in as if to whisper, "We're on to you, honey, the exit is that way," the old guy throws me for a loop:

"You're a knockout." Huh? "You're singin' all my favorite songs and you're doin' a hell of a job, honey."

Who says "knockout" anymore? It is a compliment that really has some weight. I had to giggle. Dammit, I love old guys.

No comments: